Sunday, September 11, 2011

Floral Design: An Art Technique

There are moments in my life when I look back and I have to chuckle softly to myself.  Well, I had one of those moments a few weeks ago.

The Scene:  Bookstore
My Mission:  Finding an inspirational floral design book 
The Problem:  Didn't know what section to look in

I scan the walls for the department heading not once, but TWICE.  I walked over to the section that I thought best described what I do as a floral designer--Art/Design Techniques!  I looked through all the books in this section not once, but TWICE.  I guess, only graphic design is considered an "Art Technique."  I felt lost.  Where could the books for my craft be?  I ask for help.  There they were, in very limited quantities under "Hobbies!"...very subjective, in my opinion =)

I had to laugh at the assumption I made and I secretly still think I'm right...**chuckle**.  So, if any of you work for B&N and are in charge of categorizing books, here is a bouquet for you to consider.  This is a quick photo I took before an event.  I'm still waiting for the professional images, but I thought it was a good representation of art in floral design.  


The placement of the yellow mini calla lilies had to be carefully designed.  Coral peonies gave an unexpected pop of color.  Craspedia was used to offset the fluffy texture of the white hydrangea and lisianthus and for its inherent whimsical quality. 

New Mission:  Getting floral design re-categorized at the bookstore

I tell this story only in good fun.  It was sad to hear when I talked to a sales rep at the bookstore that they took out the floral design section for lack of books in that category.  I hope you guys enjoyed my story...and my art.

No comments: