Saturday, February 20, 2010

Inspiration Found in the Dewey Decimal System



Having Art Directed and worked alongside some of the most amazing wedding and AIFD floral designers in the country, it is rare for me to be completely "awed" by too many designs. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate and love alot of designers' work, but it is not the "knock your socks off," "earth shattering," "light at the end of the tunnel," inspiring feel that I itch for.

That is why, I was pleasantly surprised when I made a trip to the local library in search of spider and dinosaur books for my son and came across a beautiful book called "Living with Flowers" by Nico De Swert. I must admit, I wasn't expecting much since the first ten books I picked up in the floral section all looked as if they were published before I was born, maybe even just after the advent of printing (such an exaggeration, but nonetheless, very outdated). De Swert's book captured me immediately through the use of such dynamic photographs (by Wendell T. Webber) of his work. What I admire most about his designs is their simplicity. It is so easy to make a striking arrangement with hundreds of roses, but it takes a real artistic eye to make something equally as inspiring with 15 stems of oriental poppies and some glass vases.


His use of clean lines is quite impressive and he allows each petal the room to breathe, creating alot of great movement.


I only displayed a couple of his most simplistic designs since those are probably more in line with event work. He does have more intricate, architectural designs in the book that might "wow" you a bit more, but I didn't want to ruin the surprise. It is definitely a book worth having so that inspiration is just an arm length away.

No comments: