Sunday, April 11, 2010

Happily Ever After at Wayfarers Chapel


Rain, rain, go away...la la la...

I guess I've learned to appreciate rain more and more as I get older. It used to be a hindrance to just about everything--play, commuting, life. Now, it not only waters my extremely thirsty garden and washes away the dust on my bath-challenged vehicle, but it also makes me feel rejuvenated and cleansed (a "frenemy" of sorts). Why oh why does it always have to happen when I have to go buy flowers though? **sigh**

Instead of thinking about the hectic commute tomorrow, I'll reminisce about a recent morning outing up to Wayfarers Chapel atop the stunning hills of Palos Verdes where I was enveloped by rays of sunshine, a slight breeze and (dunt da da dah) silence (that just sounded like it could be the lyrics to a hit 70's song!). I had an early afternoon wedding to do and showed up a couple of hours early and took photos of the venue and the flowers I had designed.

If you are not familiar with the infamous Wayfarers, it is a beautiful chapel surrounded by glass walls and ceiling that features tremendous views of the ocean and affords you the feeling of being immersed in a natural environment even though the city is just a hop, skip and a jump away.


The bride made two requests from me: 1. Her bouquet needed to have the herb sage incorporated into the design and 2. The groom needed to have a hand in finishing off her bouquet. The first request was a cinch. The second request required more ingenuity and a bit of secrecy. The groom was excited with my suggestion that he surprise her by attaching a hand written note onto her bouquet handle. When the groom showed up to write his note that afternoon, he was smiling from ear-to-ear; a definite sign of their wonderful future together.


His boutonniere carried the same garden-inspired feel with the use of ranuncula buds and accents of sage.


I fell in love with the elegance of the Maid of Honor bouquet made of just ivory roses and ranunculus.


The flowers definitely embodied the beautiful simplicity of the venue and the refreshing feel of its surroundings which, on that particular day, was miles away from the weather I will be facing tomorrow...ugh. I know, I know...I can't complain. I live in LA.

No comments: