Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Little Piece of Aloha


My husband and I honeymooned in Hawaii. It was our first big trip together and, ever since, it has been our family's favorite destination and a bit of a tradition for us to go every September. The last couple of years, we haven't been, so I miss it.

How fitting that this bouquet reminds me of the LA version of a Hawaiian hand tied...sort of city meets tropical island. What's interesting is despite the heavy ratio of orchids, the bouquet does not scream "tropical flowers," or "summer bouquet." This is due in large part to the color combination. It's not out of the ordinary to pair orchids with roses, but the obvious choice of rose color would have been white, ivory, or a color that has the same degree of vibrancy as the magenta Bombay dendrobium orchids or the blush centers of the cymbidium orchids. Instead, I chose a muddied greenish taupe color that brings a little "city polish" to the mix.

For now, this will have to be my Hawaii [in LA]. Mahalo.

No comments: